20 Delicious famous street food to eat while in Delhi.
“Dilli hai dil walon ki” goes the famous saying about Dili aka very own Capital city of a culturally vibrant country – India. So we ll not be wrong if we call it the food capital too. This city has too much on its platter to offer to win your heart over through your stomach. Food that comes in all size , shape, colors , textures just like the Delhiwallahs. Food that ads the flavor to the air in Delhi while the environmentalist are still figuring out how to control pollution level, but we bet day is not far when the Health advocates will start working on taking food out of Delhi (just making it sound a bit quirky we know that’s not gonna happen till eternity) .
What’s more to the Deliwallas is their unique way of consuming food that seems like a celebration right on the table , Just imagine if the Delliwallas were asked to eat their food without speaking a word, believe you me they would rather prefer starve then to eat zipping up their vocal cords. We feel Dilliwallas eat their food with 5 senses not just in garden of 5 sense but in all senses ,,does this nonsense made any sense definitely not.
You would find certain food to eat in delhi which are very unique to this city, while there is a lot of food which are indigenous to this city still there are a lot which this city has adopted from other cities. So fellas here’s your quick guide of some handpicked delicacies from in and around Delhi, let’s take you on date with food in Delhi. Its time to romance the dil wala food of Delhi.
1. Ram Ladoo: Don’t go on the name of this very famous street food in Delhi. “Ram Ladoo ” is probably the only laddo that is not sweet but is definitely round or not who cares till it tastes yummh. Made of fermented moong dal batter, deep fried and served with green coriander chutney with finely grated radish. Fact about this unique food of Delhi is that it’s a azad panchi (a free bird ) therefore you can only relish it on the street and never in a sophisticated place or a mall. So get out and get a little dirty to taste this not so Ladoo , Ram ladoo. If you haven’t had it so far, you are definitely missing on some tempting food. If you still thinking whether you should then let us tell you a plate of ram ladoo costs Just Rs. 20-40 and serves between 8-12 ladoos. Isnt this the cheapest ladoo on earth.someone please nominate this laddo in Limca book of world record.
2. Shakargand ( Sweet Potato Chat ) : Delhi is one city that make you fall in love with few foods that normally doesn’t even get an entry to your kitchen, we are talking about sweet potato, Sweet potato chat is a food from winters. here it is baked with love, tossed in green chutney and sprinkled with spices unique to each one making it and yet again served on the streets , ll definitely win your heart over not just for its taste but also for its high health Q.
3. Kulche Cholle – Another very common street food in Delhi is Kulche Cholle while some like to call it Cholle kulche , fermented maida bread served with matter cholle . Priced between Rs. 15-25/- is a complete afternoon meal for many. Served with spicy green chilli pickle , onioin and a slice of lemon. This is a very common lunch for many Dilliwallas. Delhi has now lost the count of students who have graduated and mastered on just a plate of Cholle Kulche , don’t believe us , take a ride to Delhi University.
4. Aalo parantha – Delliwallas are the new lot of Punjabis whom we call as Funjabis for a over dose of fun they are, you can sue us if you find one person in Delhi who had not had at least 1 Alloo parantha , the most common breakfast option in Delhi and you ll find thousands of small street vendors just serving stuffed paranthas all day long. And few points where you can have this food 24 x7. You may love to make Maski Paratha Recipe and Cheese Paratha Recipe.
5. Raj KACHORI – we would like to call Raj Kachori a step sister of puri that hails from a royal family. A puri loaded with sprout moong dal namkeen , channa chola, curd, red and green chutney garnished with pomergranate, coriander leaves and shev namkeen is something that you ll find in almost all chaat points and is bold enough to challenge you that you just can’t have more than one. No we are not saying its not Tasty , its actually very filling with over load of so much filling.
6. Veg Wraps :A wrap is vegetables, and spices rolled into a parantha .Probably a complete meal on the go , dinner for many in Delhi. But we think this dish is definitely been invented by a mother who was determined to use all the leftover veggies which a kid would usually deny to eat.
7. Momos : A dish adopted from north east this is one dish you again find across Delhi that loads the air with spicy red chutney probably Dilliwallas way to shout out their loved for north east food you may read it as love for NORTH EAST, and you will find 90% of the vendors who serves the yummiest momos are from north east. That ads to the cuteness of these dimsums , don’t you find northeast really cute. Like seriously cute…whatever.
8. Aaloo tiki : Aalo tikka is again the most famous common food that you will find across Delhi , and not to mention Delhi is the only place where they have brand names being inspired by Aallo tikki no price for guessing this definitely adds to the gastronomy in Delhi.
9. AALO CHAT – if you had Aaloo tikki and didn’t had Aaloo chat then we would call this injustice to the Aaloo family of Delhi , you can probably be summoned for this and they may even haunt you for missing on the great taste that only a potato can offer with a great crisp. Probably we can call this an Indian version to the Potato wedges tossed in Indian herbs and can be served with diced fruits of your choice but then we call it fruit chaat with Aaloo , did we hear you say fruit chaat it healthy, the healthy notion of a fruit chaat is killed by this Aaloo chaat that has deep fired diced potatoes… so what yaar it tasty to the core.
10. Kadi Chawaal – if we are saying Dilliwallas are Punjabi at heart then we have to include Kadi Chawaal as one of the most common dish in Delhi. A perfect blend gram floor in curd preparation that leaves you craving for more. And it’s a halrmless dish as its good for your gut too, so indulge in the Dilli style Kadi Chawwal and eat your heart out in the city of dilwallas.
11. Biryani: No prize for guessing Hyderabad is definitely the Baap of briyanis makers but we bet you Delhi can be termed as the Dad of briyani. you ll find Briyani being served across Delhi. Don’t believe us just take awalk across the eating points in Delhi and take a taste ride for this yummy rice dish.